Barnardo’s Calderdale Positive Identities Service invites you to join our launch event on Friday 14 September 2018, 1:00pm-4:00pm at the Elsie Whitely Innovation Centre.
The Project increases awareness of challenges LGBTQ young people may face, such as bullying and discrimination in schools, organisations, groups and communities across the authority. Positive Identities would like to explore the duty of care professionals have towards LGBTQ young people to increase levels of understanding, and make services accessible in a sustainable way by:
- Working with young people in the community and in primary schools.
- Supporting services and organisations to understand the importance of ensuring accessibility.
- Training community members and multi-agency professionals.
- Improve the quality of service.
Barnardo’s Positive Identities aims to create a CALDERDALE LGBTQ PARTNERSHIP GROUP, making Calderdale the best borough in the North for LGBTQ young people, their families and communities.
This is to:
- Look at the work Barnardo’s and partners have done
in Calderdale to support LGBTQ communities
- Look at the LGBTQ Action Plan released by the
Government Equalities Office in July 2018
- Invite Clinical Commissioning Group EDI Lead, Kate
Bell, to discuss the EDI equality objectives
- Discuss our vision to make Calderdale the best borough in the North for LGBTQ young people, their families and communities.
You should attend to:
- Take part in creating and shaping together the
Calderdale LGBTQ Partnership Group
- Network with other organisations and share learning
- Improve accessibility of services for young people
who identify as LGBTQ by accessing free training
- Plan co-delivery of diversity days in your local area
- Share the commitment to making Calderdale the
best borough in the North for LGBTQ young people,
their families and communities.
Please book your space on Eventbrite at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lgbtq-partnership-grouplaunch-tickets-47819777241
Places are limited and are allocated on a first come first served basis, so book now to avoid disappointment.
Refreshments will be provided.
IDENTITY is proud to announce that the new poster has been created ‘in-house’ by some of the members of the group.
Identity is an LGBTQ group situated in the Halifax/Calderdale area, formerly known as GALYIC. The group offers confidential support and advice to all young people aged 12 – 18 yrs regarding sexual and gender identity, home and school concerns, and all other worries they may have. They are based in a secure location in Halifax town centre that offers a safe environment for young people to meet.
Group sessions are held on Wednesday evenings between 5:00pm-7:30pm.
Please contact us via email email@example.com or on the telephone at 01422 371993.
You can find more information on our website at identitylgbtgroup.com or on the Barnados site at barnardos.org.uk/calderdale.
The group itself is run by experienced members of staff and volunteers that are selected with help of the young people, and that are all qualified to deal with and provide advice on any sexual and gender identity issues. Kate is one of the youth and support workers who run each session along with volunteers.
More information can be found in the new Identity Leaflet.
Identity is going from strength to strength, and has regular new members joining the group and are busy promoting their training in schools challenging HBT bullying.
Barnardo’s Positive Identities Service are holding an event to celebrate the achievements of our service and service users in Calderdale.
As part of the experience the young people will guide you through a journey, showcasing our work, celebrating our partnerships, and providing further information about our service.
The experience will include:
- Visual and audio art by young people
- Performances by young people
- Carousel resource sharing
- A marketplace for partnership organisations
- Discussion panel with our young people
- Discussions, in small groups, with key figures in local LGBTQ work
Join Barnardo’s to celebrate the achievements of young people, volunteers and services in Calderdale at The Elsie Whiteley Innovation Centre on Wednesday 8 February, 12:00-4pm. Tickets are FREE but please register with Eventbrite.
Lunch will be provided – please advise of any dietary requirements.
On Tuesday February 13 as part of LGBTQ history month, Barnardo’s Healthy Identities is hosting training around LGBTQ awareness for health and voluntary professionals across Calderdale.
This half day training course will introduce participants to key themes around sexual and gender identity, and will explore:
– Ideas and assumptions around gender and sexuality
– Key terms and concepts
– The Equality Act and discrimination
– Experiences of young LGBTQ people, particularly relating to health
– Ways to support and care for young LGBTQ people
This will also be an opportunity to learn more about the work of Healthy Identities with a possibility of exploring partnership opportunities.
The event is free but you are asked to register at Eventbrite. The course is being held at The Elsie Whiteley Innovation Centre, Hopwood Lane on Tuesday February 13, 1pm-4pm.