As the temperatures rise during summer, the temptation to jump into a body of water is rising.
This may be illegal in some areas but most importantly, it can be fatal.
Please look at the latest press release from West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service and Yorkshire Water, supported by West Yorkshire Police.
The message can also be found on the Youtube Water Safety by Yorkshire Water & West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service video.
The annual Drowning Prevention Week campaign will run between 15 – 25 June 2018. The campaign, created by the Royal Life Saving Society UK (RLSS UK) and this year run in partnership with the RNLI and Swim England, aims to reduce the number of drowning and near-drowning incidences that occur in the UK every year, by showing people how to be safe and have fun near water.
The campaign encourages schools, clubs, leisure centres and communities, to promote water safety education through events, lessons, games and activities, in a bid to make people more aware of the dangers of water.
You can download a copy of the Campaign Toolkit by clicking here!
- Increase the number of children receiving water safety education
- Reduce the number of drowning incidences
- Promote local and national drowning prevention projects and initiatives
The aim of DPW is to get people involved in promoting water safety to children and young people.
There is a great range of activities available for schools and youth groups, ranging from classroom based workshops to outdoor PE and orientation sessions. All are available to download FREE from the DPW website.
All resources are available from www.watersafetyeducation.org.
Family Fun and the Lifeguard Challenge Leisure centres and swimming pools around the country are encouraged to provide nine days of ‘family fun, challenges and fundraising’ using the RLSS UK’s leisure resources. Suggested activities include:
- The Rookie Lifeguard Big Weekend – Have a go at the Rookie Lifeguard skills
- Free ‘Save a Life’ Workshops – Learn how to perform CPR
- The Lifeguard Challenge – How fast can you tow a manikin?
- Free Swim Friday – Fun in the pool for all the family
- Summer Holiday Safety Session – All you’ve ever wanted to know about keeping your family safe on holiday
- Pool to Pond Taster Session – Find out how you can swim in open water safety
- Drowning is one of the leading causes of accidental death in children, in the UK
- Over 700 people drown in the UK and Ireland every year – equivalent to one person drowning every 20 hours
- Hundreds more have near-drowning experiences, sometimes suffering life-changing injuries