WINNER: St Hilda’s Church Choir
In December 2015 St Hilda’s Church Choir held a Carols in the Park event which is believed to be the very first of its kind to be held at West View Park.
As well as attractions, excellent food stalls and a fairground roundabout ride the evening was made special and extra Christmassy by St Hilda’s Choir who lead the singing of carols for over an hour.
St Hildas Church Choir also take part in the Churches Together singing at Asda at Easter time and choir members remain very active in all areas of church life and present annual entertainment covering many musical styles open to the whole community.
As individuals several people take leading parts in local choirs and amateur operatic productions.
WINNER: Daisy Mae Fry
Daisy Mae Fry is a young artist and fashion designer from Ovenden who is currently studying at Calderdale College.
She has just held her first exhibition of her limited edition prints in Leeds and one will find its way to a Tate exhibition in the future.
Daisy has been studying art and design for 4 years, currently doing a HND course at Calderdale College with specialisms in fashion design and graphics.
She creates controversial and eye catching pieces and has always had a huge interest in fashion. She says her biggest influences are the fashion designer Vivienne Westwood and photographer Terry Richardson, both two very controversial but extremely creative artists.
In February, Daisy’s work was displayed in the penthouse at Bar Fibre, Leeds – a hugely successful event which featured 3 collections of numbered and signed works with a variety of different themes as well as the chance to see the Daisy Mae’s fashion collection.
You can read about Daisy at leedscitymagazine.co.uk/daisy-mae-fry-bar-fibre/ or see some of her work on Behance at https://www.behance.net/Miss_Mae
If you’re on Twitter, follow Daisy at @Miss_Mae_96
This year’s Yorkshire Festival will be more colourful and varied than ever in Calderdale, with songs, music, theatre and even an attempt to create the world’s biggest disco!
The Yorkshire Festival will take place from Thursday 16 June to Sunday 3 July 2016 and has a programme of cultural events which celebrate the county’s artistic richness for residents and visitors alike.
To find out more about what’s happening in Calderdale pick up a festival brochure from your local tourist information office or go to www.visitcalderdale.com.
You can get more information about all the Yorkshire Festival from the dedicated website www.festival.yorkshire.com, by ‘liking’ the Yorkshire Festival page on Facebook or by following on Twitter
The 2015 North Halifax Neighbourhood Awards are fast approaching and with only 21 days until the deadline for nominations why not spare a few moments of your time to nominate a local hero from your community and give them the recognition you feel they deserve.
With 10 different Awards categories to choose from, you don’t even have to stop at just one nomination!
The 10 awards categories are as follows: Click here to view criteria for each category
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Won in 2014 by Irene Mulhall
- Contribution to Sport & Play – Won in 2014 by Mick Gavan – Crossleys
- Contribution to Work & Training – Won in 2014 by Tutors and Students from the Construction Course – North Halifax Skills Centre
- Contribution to Children & Young People – Won in 2014 by Martina Walsh
- Contribution to the Older Generation – Won in 2014 by The Mixenden Community Growers
- Outstanding Individual – Won in 2014 by Nathan Hunter
- Community Involvement – Won in 2014 by Mixenden Parents Resource Centre
- Young People of the Year – Won in 2014 by Kirsty Healey
- Contribution to Culture – Won in 2014 by Peter Coenen – The Dance Mill
- Contribution to a Safer Cleaner Greener Environment – Won in 2014 by Adrian Hill – Pennine Housing
There are a number of ways to nominate and the online process can be done in just 3 simple steps by clicking here. If you prefer the old fashioned way you can download or print our paper nomination form here and return your completed form to the Pennine Housing Office on Turner Avenue South, or drop it into Mixenden Library. You can also email us your nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nominations must be received by 31 March 2015
- There is no limit to the number nominations you can make.
- Nominations must be for an individual, group or organisation that lives or works in or for the benefit of the North Halifax community.
- As hosts of the awards, staff from the North Halifax Partnership cannot be nominated for the work they do for these organisations.
- For more information or help completing the nomination forms please give us a call on 01422 255402.
Be sure to follow us on Twitter @hxnorthandeast using #nhxawards15 for announcements.