Age UK Calderdale and Kirklees are participating in the No one should have No one campaign!
Aiming to reduce loneliness in older people. And we need your help and support.
This can be done as easily as you like. You can:
- Volunteer as an Age UK C&K befriender and visit an older person in their home once a week. It’ll just take up an hour of your time and it might just be the highlight of the week for a lonely older person. Find out more by contacting our Befriending Coordinator on 01422 252 040 and see the Befriending page on this site.
- Be a good neighbour! Visit our ‘Be a Good Neighbour’ page and and make a pledge to support an older neighbour in some small way. You will find plenty of suggestions from sharing a cuppa to taking out the bins.
- Make a one off donation of £3 just text ‘AUCK15 £3’ to 70070 to help us support local people.
- Make a regular donation via our online giving page.
How about fundraising for our charity. For information on how you can help stop loneliness in older people, contact Judith Churley on 01484 535 994 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Age UK Trusted Traders Directory provides a large selection of trustworthy traders from your local area.
All traders have been checked by local Age UK staff and with West Yorkshire Trading Standards.
All traders agree to comply with our Customer Charter to ensure that they deliver a high level of care and service.
So, put your mind at rest and visit the
Age UK Trusted Traders Directory today.
The service is free to access and available to everyone. Call us free on 0800 012 6508 or visit us online at www.aubd.co.uk
Age UK Calderdale and Kirklees, in conjunction with the Calderdale and Greater Huddersfield CCG, are providing a new free service to help keep older people warm, well and safe in their own homes this winter.
We will be providing:
- Home safety checks, to help avoid trip and falls, and give advice on keeping warm and well.
- Home support visits which can tailored to individuals needs, to provide companionship or help shopping etc.
- If someone needs a day out in one of our Centres in Halifax or Huddersfield this can be provided (transport Included)
- Winter support packs, that include fleece blanket, tinned food, packet soups and tea and coffee.
- Draught excluders, and some other equipment.
- We are also able to provide electric blankets for the most in need.
The service is open to any older people at risk of becoming lonely or isolated over winter.
Referrals can be made via GPs, Social Services or you can call us direct to book a visit on 01422 262011.
via Age UK Calderdale & Kirklees
Sue and George Watson, an inspirational couple in Halifax certainly don’t fit the stereotype of old age. They are an infectiously lively and happy couple who anyone would want to spend time around (and who you secretly envy!).
They are retired but still brimming with energy and vitality, being active walkers, swimmers and cyclists.
But that is the tip of the iceberg!
Between them, they run an over 50’s group, High Fives in Pellon/Warley providing exercise, singing, dancing and craft sessions for which they received support and training from Age UK.
Sue teaches Zumba and George teaches Scottish Country Dancing and Sue takes chair based exercise sessions, visits care homes, volunteers in the primary school where she spent most of her working life and in their spare time they enjoy a bit of light gardening! Oh, and I forgot to mention they are both musicians with Sue having recently taking up the ukulele.
In addition to their active lifestyle, their faith is very important to both of them and Sue has been a Methodist preacher for many years now. As well as the spiritual side, they find fulfilment and happiness living their faith and being of service to others.