CO Awareness – Disposable Barbecues
With some warmer weather on the horizon you may be planning on a family camping trip. Will you be using a disposable barbecue?.. STAY SAFE!
Although instant barbecue’s are an efficient time saving way to cook whilst camping they also carry a risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide can kill within just three minutes and there have been a number of tragic deaths in recent years throughout the country.
Disposable barbecues give off carbon monoxide when being used and continue to do so until they are completely cold. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas that, even in relatively small quantities, prevents blood from providing essential oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.
Exposure to carbon monoxide in enclosed spaces often causes drowsiness and the victims fall asleep unaware of the poison gas that is killing them.
Although most people are aware, charcoal barbecues are sometimes taken into tents, caravans, vehicles and buildings to be used for cooking, keeping warm or simply to keep camp sites looking tidy which is extremely dangerous.
Campers are reminded never to light, use or leave smouldering barbecues inside tents, awnings or other enclosed spaces because of the risks and when you have finished with the barbecue, dispose of it carefully and ensure the ashes are fully extinguished to prevent a fire risk.
Symptoms of COpoisoning include:
- chest pains
At high levels, CO poisoning can cause:
- sudden collapse
- loss of consciousness
Anyone who suspects they are suffering from CO poisoning should go outside into the fresh air and seek medical help from a qualified healthcare professional, and call NHS on 111.
Find out more about carbon monoxide poisoning or more about barbecue safety here.
If you would like to receive free regular updates like this from the NHP Energy Levels Project by email then please take a moment to sign up or take our quiz below.
Find out more at https://northhalifaxpartnership.org/energy-levels/