Do you care for someone with a mental health problem?
If you are providing practical help or emotional support to a relative, partner or friend who experiences mental distress, then you are a carer. If you need support with your caring role, Calderdale Carers Support Service may be able to help.
The carer support service has a team of experienced support workers working throughout Calderdale.
Locally services operate from Beechwood Health Centre in Ovenden and Elmfield House in Halifax town centre. We take self-referrals or referrals from other agencies.
How can a carer support worker help?
- By providing a ‘listening ear’ – we believe that by providing you with the opportunity to talk to someone about your caring responsibilities and to be able to express how you feel is often a huge relief. Particularly if you feel isolated and unable to use the support from friends or family, talking to someone who can empathise and understand can help make a stressful time easier to bear.
- By providing practical help with signposting to clear and accurate information about mental health conditions and medications, from reliable sources.
- By giving help, support and information to enable carers and those they care for to access leisure, training and employment opportunities from as wide a range of sources as we can find.
- By acting as an access point to all relevant information needed by carers and their families, including welfare benefits and advocacy.
- By supporting your own mental wellbeing. Our Support Workers are there for you and as such will help you to develop strategies to cope and to promote your own independence and needs.
- By empowering carers to have a voice within services through building confidence and providing access to opportunities to express their viewpoint. This can help to shape decision and policy making in the statutory and voluntary sectors.
To find out more about the service, please contact them direct:
Beechwood Health Centre
Keighley Road, Ovenden
Tel: 01422 355626
50/52 Prescott Street, Halifax
Tel: 01422 383062
Opening times are Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.