We won’t sugarcoat it – Combined with the darkening nights and soggy weather, this second lockdown feels harder. We are zoom quizzed out, all the DIY has been done and the banana bread has lost its appeal. Lots of us are going into lockdown 2.0 more than a bit deflated, fed up and tired, but it’s helpful to remind ourselves that there’s still a lot of positivity out there – especially in our sector. Little flashes of light in the COVID-19 gloom – A mental health support group. An online exercise class. A phone call to a brighten someone’s day.
Little Calderdale Fireflies.
So here’s our ask to you all as Calderdale Voluntary, Community & Social Enterprise Organisations.
For this second lockdown, we are collecting ‘fireflies’ opportunities and ideas for people in Calderdale to do something for their physical and mental health and wellbeing (and quite possibly for someone else’s too!) – something that will shine a little light for them in the gloom.
A ‘firefly’ could be:
- Donating to your local food banks
- Knitting/crafting projects for your service users or fundraising
- A penpal scheme – snail mail or phone calls
- A free fun course or one-off session
- Poetry/ creative writing/ music
- Complete a pledge or raise awareness
- Ideas for people to help themselves feel better (that don’t involve lots of expensive ingredients or the words “go for a walk”)
Basically, we want to hear your ideas or initiatives that could benefit from member of the public support. We want this list to grow – a jar full of fireflies! Maybe there’s been an idea you’ve had for ages and this could be the perfect opportunity to see if it has wings – firefly pun intended!
If you’d like to get involved, please email Emma Worsley on email@example.com with your ideas!