Latest from Northowram and Shelf Ward Forum

To find out the latest from the Northowram and Shelf Ward Forum held on Thursday 7 March, you can download the minutes here.

Date:    Thursday 7th March 2019
Venue: Northowram Methodist Church, Northowram Green. Northowram. Halifax.

Meeting Notes
Present: Cllr S Baines; Cllr R Taylor; Cliff Organ (Chair); Tony King Ward Coordinator (OMI); 19 Residents.
Apologies: Cllr P Caffrey

1. Welcome and introductions

1.1 Cliff Organ began by thanking everyone for attending the meeting and introducing the officers and councillors present.

2. Minutes and Matters arising.

3 Police Updates – Police did not attend. An email was received from the police giving their apologies stating that the officers who were on route to the ward forum were called away to deal with a police matter. The following crime figures for N&S were received;

3.1 Total Crimes recorded 438 this was up 12.3% on the same time last year (390)
3.2 Burglary Dwelling down to 39 offences from 68 a decrease of 42.6%
3.3 Theft of motor Vehicle up from 10 to 12 offences a rise of 20%
3.4 Theft from motor vehicle up from 31 to 36 offences a rise of 16.1%
3.5 Assault with injury up from 21 to 29 offences a rise of 38.1%
3.6 ASB incidents down to 164 from 165 offences a decrease of 0.6%
3.7 Environmental Nuisance down from 152 to 109 offences a decrease of 28.3%
3.8 Deliberate fires no change from last year with 11 offences being committed.

4 Residents Feedback on Neighbourhood Issues

4.1 Several residents raised concerns about the mini roundabout junction of Cooper lane – Carr House lane, where some drivers travel at speed towards the roundabout don’t stop and go straight over the roundabout. It was stated there have been several minor collisions and a lot more near misses and residents were concerned about the safety of pedestrians. The police are aware of the problems concerning this roundabout, it is unlikely that there will be any work undertaken to improve the roundabout.
4.2 Residents raised some concern about a planning application that has been
submitted to build 10 homes on a piece of land off Upper Lane, Northowram,
residents said that the land is in a conservation area and asked how properties
can be built on it? No decision has been made on this planning application but
a major reason for it to be refused is the fact that it is in a conservation area.
Action; Cllrs to feed back at next ward forum
4.3 A resident complained about the amount of traffic around Northowram junior
School during drop off and pick up times and how people park anywhere with
no respect for others. Action; Tony to pass on to police and parking
enforcement officer.
4.4 Residents complained about the amount of dog fouling in the area especially
around Hall Lane and Upper lane. Action; TK to forward information to CMBC.
4.5 Flytipping was discussed which can be a big problem in the ward, council
charges re removal are now 8 items for £25.
4.6 A resident asked when the council’s street cleaning vehicle was due in the
ward. Action; TK to speak to SCG manager and find out.
4.7 A resident raised concern about speeding traffic on Bradford Road close to the junction with Joseph Avenue, this was mainly in an evening, vehicles appeared
to be travelling at speeds well in excess of 30mph. Action; TK to pass details
onto the Police’s operation Hawmill.
4.8 A resident complained about the parking around the Northowram Green
Doctors Surgery and asked if anything can be done about it. Action; TK to pass
onto parking enforcement officer.
4.9 Youth ASB in the bushes behind the Northowram Doctors surgery where
youths have been gathering in an evening from 7pm – 10pm drinking alcohol,
lighting fires, being abusive and leaving the area in a mess. Action; TK to pass
onto the police and community safety wardens, TK to contact the estate
management company and ask if bushes can be cut back and rubbish removed.
4.10 No update on the future of the Yew Tree public house.
4.11 Youth ASB in Claremount Park, youths congregating on the park from 7pm up to early hours of the morning, drinking alcohol, being abusive and leaving area
in a mess. A Resident said he witnessed youths having sex in the park. Action;
TK to pass onto police and community safety wardens.

5 Neighbour Hood Watch

5.1 TK explained that both Northowram and Shelf have community and
neighbourhood watch facebook pages which are an excellent source of information for what’s going on in the ward area. Also he asked if there was any interest in residents wanting to set up a neighbourhood watch group in their area, no response from residents.

6 Staying Well Update

6.1 TK explained that there was now an active Staying Well committee for the
Northowram and Shelf ward involving 9 residents, at a recent meeting he
explained how the group are looking to develop new activities to help tackle
isolation and loneliness. Two ideas that came from the meeting was a gentle
exercise class followed by a brew and chat session and an afternoon tea dance,
these ideas will be developed further. TK said that if any person would like to
be part of the committee meetings will be advertised on the OMI blog and
newsletter.

7 Friends of Shelf Park Update

7.1 TK explained that there is now a new friends of Shelf Hall Park group in
existence and their next meeting is 6.30pm 20th March 2019 at the Stone Chair
variety club, Shelf. Any person wishing to become a member of the group
please contact the groups secretary Mr Wager on davidwager@btinternet.com

8. Local Development Plan

8.1 There is no update on the LDP.

9. Ward Forum Grants

9a TK explained that the most recent grant applications had been received from the friends of Shelf Hall Park, for £500 to erect a new ‘Welcome to Shelf Hall Park’ sign and from Shelf Hall Park Bowls Group for new gutter boarding for around the green.
9b TK explained that there was approx.; £1,400 left in the N&S ward forum grant
pot, which needs to be spent before 31st March 2019 or it will be returned to the
council.
9c TK explained that the ward forum grants panel is made up of the 3 elected
members for the ward and 2 local residents, he asked if people were happy for the
panel members to continue making decisions on grant applications and if anyone
would like to be on the grants panel. No one was interested in becoming a member of the grants panel and were happy for the panel to continue as is.

10. A.O.B

10.1 The Shibden Village Society is looking for new members anyone wanting more information please check out the www.Northowram.org website.

11. Next Meeting 5.30pm doors open for a 6pm start. Monday 3rd June 2019 at
Belgrave Social Club, Claremount Road. Claremount. Halifax.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.