Open Minds Website for Children and Young People in Calderdale

If you are a young person in Calderdale the Open Minds site is for you. It will help you with questions about emotional health and wellbeing, showing you where you can find support. It will also help you to sort things out for yourself with ideas and tools and people you can talk to.

If you want informal support, somewhere you can drop in to for a chat with friendly people who are there to help you, there are many different places you can contact or go to. Please look at these pages for more information.

Youth Works

Youth Works is a safe space for you to come along, ‘chill out’, listen to music, access the internet or have a brew. The drop-in is open weekdays from 3.30 pm to 5.45 pm. Phone: 01422 320033

Healthy Minds – Time Out

Healthy Minds – Time Out will help you do things that will make you feel good, get you enjoying doing things with others, making friends, giving and getting support. Phone: 01422 345154 or 07388 990229

LGBTQ – Identity

Identity for the LGBTQ (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning) community has information, advice and support sessions . For details. Phone: 01422 371993

Youth Offending Team

Youth Offending Team is a service for young people and their families who have become involved with the criminal justice system. Phone: 01422 368279

Lots of students get support from their school when they’re going through a tough time. You can speak to anyone working in your school about anything that’s bothering you, whether its school related or something different. In Calderdale, schools have a range of services including peer support, family support and counselling that can help you.

You maybe worried about physical health issues, from rashes on your skin to breathing difficulties to other more serious symptoms. You can speak to your GP or School Nurse about these issues at Locala.


Contact your local school nursing service at Locala
Phone: 0303 3309974 (2 – 5 p.m.).

Feeling distressed or unhappy from time to time is normal, however if these feelings are persistent or are causing a lot of worry for you or the person your are concerned about then you may need to seek professional help. In Calderdale the Child and Adolescent Mental Health service will be able to help you.


If you think you or someone you know may have a mental health problem ask your teacher or GP to contact – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) in Calderdale who provide specialist emotional support for young people. Phone: 01422 300001

You may want to try counselling if you are experiencing difficulties at school, home or with friends. If you are having a tough time in life with things like being bullied, keeping up with schoolwork, anxious about making friends, feeling others don’t understand you or have time for you; or you may have more general underlying feelings of anxiety or dissatisfaction with life. In counselling you will be able to talk to an independent professional person about these things and get help and advice to make things better.


If you need to talk to someone confidentially about what’s bothering you contact Kooth. It is a free, safe anonymous online counselling and support service.

Relate Children and Young People’s Counselling

You might be experiencing problems at school, issues with your parents or generally not feeling like yourself, if so contact Relate Children and Young People’s Counselling. Phone: 0300 1001234

Noah’s Ark

Noah’s Ark offer a confidential safe space in which to explore issues and feelings with a person who neither judges nor offers advice. This is available to young people and children. They also offer the Rainbows peer support programme for children experiencing loss in various ways. Phone: 01422 300457

Calderdale Help in Bereavement Service

If you have lost someone special and need to talk about it and get help call – Calderdale Help in Bereavement Service. Phone: 0845 0099221

Using drugs and alcohol can create a lot of disruption in your life as well as those around you, and sometimes it can become a serious mental health issue. There is help at hand and in Calderdale you can contact projects like Branching Out.

Branching Out – DISC (Discovering Initiative for Support in the Community)
If you are using and need help contact Branching Out. You will get confidential help and support with your drug and alcohol problem. Phone: 01422 510000

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.