The Stop and Search Ride Along scheme is an opportunity to gain a real insight into the work of West Yorkshire Police, which goes on 24/7, and speak to officers and staff about what goes on in your neighbourhood.
You may be interested in joining an officer on the beat, finding out how the police conduct a ‘Stop and Search’, or attending a community meeting.
To be considered for a place on the Ride Along Scheme, complete the application form at the bottom of this web page. This should then be emailed to the email address for the area you reside in. Applicants will be contacted by a member of staff from one of the teams, and if your application is successful they will arrange the observation directly with you. It takes time to make these arrangements and your patience is appreciated.
If you want to find out more about the scheme, you can contact your local Neighbourhood Policing Team on 101.
Participants in the scheme must:
- Be aged 18 years or above (younger people of 16 or above may take part under certain circumstances).
- Criminal record checks will be made beforehand. Previous convictions will not automatically prevent a Ride Along – each case will be considered individually.
- You will have to read and agree to the Confidentiality Agreement and Observer Briefing Sheet (which will be provided before attending).
- Follow any instructions given to you by your accompanying staff member at all times during the Ride Along. For example, if observing incidents you may be asked to leave or remain in a police vehicle to ensure your safety.
- West Yorkshire Police reserves the right to refuse participation in this scheme and to terminate the Ride Along, if it is necessary for the officer or member of staff to carry out their work effectively, efficiently and safely.