However, there are some simple steps that everyone can take to improve their home security : –
- Always lock your doors and windows even when you’re at home
- Always take the key out of the lock and keep it in a safe place – do not leave keys in reach of the letterbox, a cat flap, or on view through a window.
- Make sure items such as car keys, laptops, tablets, phones and cash cannot be seen through a window.
- Do not leave power cables or charger units for laptops and tablets plugged in and on show.
- If you are out, try to make your home look occupied by using a timer switch to control lights.
- Make sure Euro cylinder locks have achieved – TS 007 (3 star rating) or Sold Secure Diamond Standard for lock cylinders (SS312).
- If you have a burglar alarm always remember to switch it on when you leave the house or when you go to bed.
- Why not start a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in your area?
For more advice please contact your local Crime Prevention Officer by email or call 101.
If you are deaf or speech impaired use Text Phone 07786 200 200 or Type Talk 18001 101 and if a crime is in progress or there is a danger to life, call 999.